Sunday, March 11, 2007

Intriguing, to Say the Least

I just can't get over these commercials. It's almost as if the anti-drug people accidentally hired some potheads to design their commercials.



This one is my personal favorite. It involves a guy who's smoking pot and hangin' out with his lady. Nothin' wrong there, but the girl doesn't seem interested. Which makes me think she has pretty low self-esteem in the first place, because I doubt the chap was real motivated when they first got together. It's not like you're researching a cure for cancer one day, then hanging out in the woods smokin' reefer the next. She new what she was getting into.

Then, out of fuckin' nowhere, an UFO comes out of the sky and an alien pops out. Nobody freaks out. Not even the girl, who isn't smokin' the weed. Even the guy appears to have just started hitting the joint, so it's not like he's even got a buzz yet. What the fuck? I mean, if I was just sitting around and a space ship landed ten feet away from me, I'd probably shit my pants. I call bullshit.

Then, if this is even possible, it gets stranger. The guy offers the alien some weed, which is totally unrealistic. You don't just offer a hit to random strangers. That's how you end up in jail. In real life, he'd of swallowed that joint in five seconds while running away. Even someone who is stoned knows that.

Anyway, Mr. Space Alien turns him down, and that makes the girl fall in love with him. I told you this girl had some low self-esteem. This, ladies and gentleman, is the kind of girl who bangs guys in the bathroom at Applebee's when they buy her a drink. Anyone who can fall in love with a space alien in a few seconds' time must equate their personal worth with a pile of shit.

The last scene involves them flying off into space together, accompanied by butterflies. This is seriously a freak show of a commercial.

When you throw in the unsettling carnival music, it seems to do more to promote marijuana than discourage it. I can imagine potheads laughing their asses off at this shit. The lesson is, "Smoke weed and your cheap whore of a girlfriend will leave you for a space alien." Makes you want to throw down the bong and put on a tie, doesn't it?

No comments: