Friday, March 16, 2007

Indiana Who?

It's a damn beautiful day outside. Earlier it was overcast, chilly, and windy, but the Sun finally woke up and bitch slapped the clouds away.

The bad news is that I'm stuck inside all afternoon working. It's nice to earn a few bucks here and there, but right now I'd give it all up for the chance to just wander around some back roads and waste a bunch of time.

In my state, you find the coolest shit just wandering around in the middle of nowhere. Most people see riding around as a giant waste of time and gas, but I intensely enjoy it. There's a road miles away from any sign of civilization that has curbs and huge oaks trees lining both sides. They're over a hundred years old, at least. My best guess is that it used to be an old plantation driveway that the State paved over, but I just don't know. There's not a whole lot of money in this State to look into those type of things, so usually the secret is lost to the ages.

On my way to work, I cross an old one-lane bridge that was built around 1900. Records are scant, so they're not exactly sure when it was built, but all the old people nearby say it was there when they were born. Parts of it are falling apart, but it still carries traffic. They'll probably replace it in a few years with a much more modern (and infinitely uglier) contraption. Sigh.

There's even a depression in the earth near the Mississippi River that no one really knows how to explain. Geologists just kind of throw their hands up in the air and say, "Fuck it, I got nothin'." It's that kind of strange. It's round, and intensely deep. Quite spooky to behold. Rumor and historical evidence seems to suggest that some of the pirates and thieves that cruised the river used it as a spot to bury their treasure. Also, I can't figure out why it doesn't fill up with water. It's pretty fucked up.

The last time I was there, it was in the middle of summer, so the woods around it were thick as hell. Giant spiders tried to eat my face off, so I didn't explore further. I'm hoping to go back one day with some climbing gear and reach the bottom. I'm pretty sure there's a magical time portal down there. Or at least, some wicked shrooms. Either one would take me to a very special place.

No comments: