Monday, March 12, 2007

Cash is King

I love this shit, because it's meant to be commercial, and the execs won't to make some money off the magnificent bastard before he heads toward the white light of death, but he's so authentic they don't know what to do with him. When music executives encounter that kind of authenticity, they're flabbergasted. Mostly, because they don't see it anymore.



Look in the man's eyes. If you can't feel his pain, you have no soul. Here he is, looking back over a past filled with so many mistakes and streaks of greatness, and he realizes that all he's got is a bunch of dusty trophies. He makes a lot of dramatic arm movements that would be laughable if anyone else tried them, but you can tell he doesn't give a damn anymore. If Johnny Cash wants to charade a couple words, that's fine. I don't tell God when to make it rain; I won't tell Cash how to sing a song.

What pisses me off about the music industry today is that people like Johnny Cash would never make it in today's commercial climate. They don't have the "look." God, how I hate the "look." Talent means nothing, as long as you look the part. They can fix the singing in the recording studio nowadays, and they feed you backup tracks when you sing live. It's a big joke.

I'll try to lay off the music videos for a while- I fully realize the tens of people who visit this blog come here solely for my rapier wit.

1 comment:

The Expatriate said...

Hey, I love Cash too. He never gave up, made music his whole life, and this song especially was a good bookend to his career. I love the fact that his wife is in the video too. She passed away shortly thereafter and then Cash passed away. Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Gospel Hall of Fame and Country Hall of Fame. An American Giant.